Functions of the Health Research Institutes.
- The National Health Research Institute shall promote and coordinate health research in Pakistan and act as the custodian of public research funds.
- The Institute shall perform such functions as are directed and assigned by the Federal Government or the Board.
- To promote, organize, coordinate, and conduct scientific research in the field of health, including allopathy, homeopathy, herbal, Unani, ayurvedic and traditional medicine-
- Ensure ethical compliance of medical and health-related research to establish national and international standards;
- Provide financial support for health research through grants and fellowships;
- Evaluate submitted research proposals for scientific quality, ethical compliance and validity of outcomes in order to grant funds for the research purpose;
- Oversee research projects funded by the NIH for scientific integrity and ethical compliance;
- Establish a National Bioethics Committee to coordinate and promote ethical oversight as necessary for biomedical research in Pakistan;
- Advise the Federal and Provincial Governments and any other relevant body or organization on matters related to health research;
- Establish, strengthen and expand bioinformatics for support of research;
- Establish linkages with national and international research institutions, bodies and organizations as well as relevant community groups and agencies; and
- Develop financial and other resources for its functions and the support of research.